Friday, June 3, 2011

Baby Chicks

They're HOME!
I just picked up my new chicks from the post office! After a lot of research I decided to have my chicks hatched from a company called insideyolk.com I didn't want anything to do with those large hatcheries that horrifically kill chicks in ways that I won't mention....

So here they are~
5 Blue laced red Wyandottes and 5 Americana's (they lay blue eggs)

Soon after they went in our homemade brooder, I took each chick and gently put it's beak in the water. They all got the hang of it after that. Because they've been in a box for 2 days, I put a few drops of flower essence "rescue remedy" in the water to help them recover from stress.  They also have organic chick starter with some dried nettle leaves.  This is sprinkled on the paper towels as well as in a dish so they have things to pick at :)    So far so good!

Here's some pictures of the brooder~
I don't know how I'm going to get any work done today~~~~  So exciting :)

3 comments:

  1. They are adorable ! Best of luck !Jen

    ReplyDelete
  2. Best of luck with them, they are so darn cute. Good luck with getting any work done for a while.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love it! I really REALLY want chickens of my own, but its so new to me that I'm a little nervous. Please, show us exactly what they need, and how you go about taking care of them! I'm all ears (or, rather, eyes!)
    They're absolutely precious, I can't wait to see them get bigger. :)

    ReplyDelete